Sunday, September 25, 2005

jus' thinkin'

3 stimulating things that I read today:

1:
"I am interested in politics for only one reason - to reach the day when I will not have to be interested in politics. I want to secure a society in which I will be free to pursue my own concerns and goals, knowing that the government will not interfere to wreck them, knowing that my life, my work, my future are not at the mercy of the state or the whim of a dictator."
- Ayn Rand

2:
"Autumn - a second spring when every leaf is a flower."
- Albert Camus

3:
"Look, I really don't want to wax philosophical, but I will say that if you're alive, you got to flap your arms and legs, you got to jump around a lot, you got to make a lot of noise, because life is the very opposite of death. And therefore, as I see it, if you're quiet, you're not living. You've got to be noisy, or at least your thoughts should be noisy and colorful and lively."
- Mel Brooks
(I found this one very invigorating even though I don't completely agree with it - I don't believe life is the very opposite of death - the way light is not the absence of darkness.)

Neat, no? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sea and Sky said...

Poorna Shashank:
hmm... that's an interesting thought... am very tempted to say YES! but again, why do entities such as these be always in relation with something else? why can't death be death?
but then again, yup, i too think darkness is the absence of light...
i wonder if this is different for different things... at least that's how it seems to me... for instance, gloom isn't necessarily absence of happiness, and affluence ain't always absence of poverty...
jus' thinking aloud.